Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Martial Arts Dance

Martial arts music and dance


Could definitely be tempted to call this martial arts dance and music fail, perhaps even add the word epic - like in epic fail - to the equation.

Let's get something absolutely clear, I love music and I definitely have nothing at all against dancing. Being a musician, it would be strange saying something else now wouldn't it? Sure, there are forms of music not being up my alley, as well as dancing I really can't say I enjoy watching, but that's beside the point - these art forms are great.

There is also much evidence that martial artists tend to be involved in other forms of arts as well, dance, music, figurative arts, films etc. In other words they co-exist just fine.

It's when someone tries - more or less desperately - to blend these forms of art that we often get serious hick-ups. Has it been done successfully? You tell me, perhaps in some movie? Personally, I can't seem to recall an instant where the martial arts were shown off successfully in a dance, aerobic, music video context.

Another vital point: I'm not referring to the dances and the music that are part of the old martial arts traditions, like the ones you may find in traditional kung fu, silat etc. This is just great.

Now, let's have a look at a couple of examples that makes me want to slap my head. First out is the brilliant Karate Rap. Not much 'rap' in here though...


Ichi, ni san, chi, come ereybody train karotyyyy! Awesome eh? I'm am so glad I didn't grow up in the 80's and had to listen to this kind of 'c-rap'.

Moving on, let's have a look at this - should we say rather uninspiring and bland - aerobic style wing chun kung fu dance. At least it's a good idea to have people in perfect sync when you attempt to entertain with a group performance like this. Note: The music had to be removed since it was a copyrighted song in use.


And then finally, let's bring home the bacon with this more recent "jiu-jitsu rap". Yup, it's non other than the Gracie's going at it with rap and fight action scenes (at least it's more like real rap). But the lyrics.. Trying to blend the techniques into a lyric is ... special :-)


Martial Arts Dance

No comments:

Post a Comment